Washington (4-7, 3-5) vs. Washington State (6-5, 5-3)
Friday, November 26th @ 5:00 p.m. PT
Husky Stadium (Seattle, Washington)
Line: Washington State -1.0
Radio: Seattle Sports Radio 950 KJR
The Washington Huskies will face off against the Washington State Cougars at Husky Stadium, as the Huskies will try to play the role of spoiler and thwart any chances of the Cougars winning the Pac-12 North somehow.
During their last game, the Huskies struggled mightily on the road down in Boulder, Colorado against a lackluster opponent. The Huskies couldn’t control the clock and make crucial plays down the stretch, which resulted in a disappointing 20-17 loss against the Colorado Buffaloes. The loss officially knocked the Huskies out of bowl eligibility for the season.
This week, the Huskies are facing their rivals from across the state of Washington. This time around, Washington enters this contest as the underdog team for the first time in several years. So far this season, Washington State is 6-5, after earning a dominating 44-18 home win against the Arizona Wildcats last weekend. The Cougars have overcome the firing of their head coach Nick Rolovich and turned their season around in the process.
Offensively, the Cougars must take the lead early and try to control the clock with their running game to have a chance at victory.
Defensively, the Huskies will have to find a way to stop the run and force Wazzu to throw the ball into their talented secondary.
Something has to give, in this contest between two teams playing for pride and bragging rights in the state for the next 12 months!
KEY PLAYERS: WASHINGTON
QB – Dylan Morris
DB – Brendan Radley-Hiles
TE – Cade Otton
KEY PLAYERS: WASHINGTON STATE
QB – Jayden De Laura
RB – Max Borghi
LB – Jahad Woods
ESPN MATCHUP PREDICTOR
– The Washington-Washington State series dates back to 1900, when the teams played to a 5-5 tie in Seattle. Washington holds a commanding 74-32-6 edge in the 112-game series, including a 42-15 record in Apple Cup games (1962-present).
– Washington is the only team that has yet to allow a pass play of 40 or more yards, and leads the nation in fewest 30-plus-yard pass plays allowed, with three; and fewest 30-plus yard scrimmage plays allowed, with eight
– Washington leads the Pac-12 in first downs allowed, passing yards allowed, pass efficiency defense, and scoring defense; and is second in total defense
– The Cougar defense enters the week leading the Pac-12 and seventh in the country with 23 takeaways including 13 fumble recoveries, second-most in the country.
– Quarterback Jayden de Laura leads the Pac-12 with 23 passing touchdowns and 250.6 passing yards/g, running back Max Borghi is tenth in WSU history for career rushing yards and sixth in the Pac-12 with 10 rushing touchdowns while receiver Travell Harris leads the Pac-12 with nine touchdown catches and wideout Calvin Jackson Jr. is second with 887 receiving yards.
– WSU recorded its 1st four-game conference winning streak since winning 7 straight in 2018
Jeff Wright (7-4)
In an ironic twist, the Huskies and Cougars will be involved in a role reversal plot this year. Usually Wazzu has nothing to play for and tries to play the role of spoiler but this year it will be the Huskies taking over that stance. With the Huskies being eliminated from bowl eligibility, they will be playing for self pride and trying to squash any hopes of the Cougars winning the Pac-12 North somehow. There has been so much going on with Husky Football lately, in terms of drama and distractions, one has to wonder if they have enough left in the tank. This has now become their bowl game unfortunately. Wazzu comes into this game with confidence and a lot to play for. They sense that this is their best chance to stop the 7-game losing streak to the Huskies in Apple Cups. They are running the football efficiently, which isn’t great news for the Huskies. The Cougars defense has improved as well. What the Huskies are hanging their hats on is the mental stronghold they have over the Cougs in this rivalry and that the game is at Husky Stadium. It doesn’t matter that the Cougars have had a better season than the Huskies this year! BIG BROTHER WINS AGAIN! The streak continues and the Husky dominance in this Apple Cup rivalry is cemented once again! In the words of former Washington Huskies center Nick Harris, “We don’t lose to Cougs!”
Washington 27 – Washington State 23
WASHINGTON HUSKIES ADIDAS ULTRABOOST 1.0 DNA RUNNING SHOE – PURPLE/GOLD
Ships Free with code: 99SHIP
SHOP NOW! CHECK OUT THE NEW WASHINGTON HUSKIES ADIDAS SHOES BY CLICKING ON THE LINK BELOW!!