The Washington Huskies held their fourth Fall Camp practice this afternoon and Day Four is officially in the books.
– The team practiced in the Dempsey Indoor Practice Facility.
– The weather was sunny, windy and hot.
– The length of the practice was approximately 1 hours and 25 minutes.
NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS
– The team practiced with shoulder pads, while wearing shorts, helmets and jerseys and focused a lot on fundamentals and technique.
– Today’s practice was focused on technique and a lot of installment of offensive plays.
– Today’s 11 on 11 sessions consisted of a few quick sequences for the QB’s but no long drives like yesterday.
– Drill work included alignment, RB handoffs, TE blocking, DL pass rush, OL stances, QB target throws, DL sleds, bubble screens, pass coverage, LB barrels dive tackling, backpedal footwork and defensive shifts.
– The QB group worked on target throws, handoffs to the running backs and getting the ball down field. Jacob Eason was showcasing some nice touch on his deep ball. Jake Haener was very accurate during target throw drills . Jacob Sirmon had some decent throws during drill work. Dylan Morris is improving everyday and its starting to click for him. Overall this group was consistent and steady throughout the shortened practice.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Offense consisted primarily of Nick Harris, Luke Wattenberg, Ty Jones, Trey Adams, Salvon Ahmed, Jake Haener, Jared Hilbers, Hunter Bryant, Andre Baccellia, Aaron Fuller, Jaxson Kirkland. Cade Otton, Terrell Bynum and Chico McClatcher rotated in with this group.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Defense consisted primarily of Myles Bryant, Kyler Manu, Brandon Wellington, Cameron Williams, Levi Onwuzurike, Elijah Molden, Keith Taylor, Benning Potoa’e, Joe Tryon, Ryan Bowman, Tuli Letuligasenoa. John Clark, Kyler Gordon, Josiah Bronson and Sam Taimani and Zion Tupuola-Fetui rotated with this group as well.
– LB’s worked on dropping back into pass coverage during drills.
– DB’s worked on covering sideline fade routes during drills.
– QB’s had a strong emphasis on target throws during drills.
– OL worked on downhill blocking during drills.
– RB’s worked on tucking the ball away during drills.
– Offense worked on bubble screens during drills.
– DL got after it attacking the sleds during drills.
– DL also worked on covering the run during drills.
– WR Chico McClatcher coming around fly sweeps during drills.
– QB Jacob Eason took first snaps during scrimmages.
– Lots of special teams work with gunners and covering the punt returner.
– DL worked on stunts and inside pass rush moves during drills.
– Today’s practice was a change of venue by Chris Petersen to give the players another look.
– There were only two moments of scrimmaging today during the entire practice
– The placekickers didn’t get any reps with their FG attempts or punts.
– There seems to be a bigger emphasis this camp with the QB’s “airing it out” and throwing down field.
– Offense worked on bubble screens, misdirection and fly sweep work along the way.
– One thing that goes without saying is the size of this team! They are humongous and the elite recruiting classes are starting to show with passing the eye test.
– Temperature wise it seemed hotter in the Dempsey Indoor Practice Facility than it did outside with the nice breeze.
PLAYERS WHO STOOD OUT
– WR Chico McClatcher once again! He is having an outstanding camp and looks in midseason form. He made spectacular catches and is playing at a high level right now.
PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR
– TE Devin Culp had some nice catches today and is a huge target over the middle. Very physical and athletic player.
BIGGEST PLAYS OF THE DAY
– RB Salvon Ahmed 20-yard burst through the middle during 11 on 11.
– WR Chico McClatcher 20-yard reception from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– TE Devin Culp’s 25- yard over the middle reception from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– WR Ty Jones 15-yard reception from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– WR Austin Osborne’s 10-yard slant reception from QB Jacob Sirmon during 11 on 11.
– TE Hunter Bryant on the 25-yard wheel route from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– Freshman DB Asa Turner with the pass breakup on TE Fatu Sua-Godinet during 11 on 11.
– WR Puka Nacua’s diving 30-yard sideline catch from QB Dylan Morris during 11 on 11.
– TE Cade Otton’s over the middle 25-yard catch from QB Dylan Morris during 11 on 11.
– Laiatu Latu’s sack on QB Dylan Morris during 11 on 11.
– WR Trey Lowe’s 50-yard up the middle handoff run during 11 on 11.
– DB Isaiah Gilchrist picks off Jacob Sirmon’s pass during 11 on 11.
– WR Chico McClatcher’s acrobatic 30-yard catch over two defenders during 11 on 11.
WHO WON THE DAY?
– Offense won the day as it made several plays all over the field during scrimmages and with a nice balance of throwing and running the football.
– TE Jacob Kizer
– OL Cole Norgaard
– OL Troy Fautanu
FORMER PLAYERS IN ATTENDANCE
– Some former Husky players and coaches that were at practice were Damon Huard, Dick Baird and Hugh Millen.
RECRUITS IN THE HOUSE
RECENT SIGNEES IN THE HOUSE
– “Yah..it’s been pretty good. I think all four of them have really been pretty good! But I think there’s like a lot of really good learning going on. I do think all of them are playing better than they were playing in the spring.” (Head coach Chris Petersen said in regards to how the quarterbacks group looks so far this Fall Camp).
– No players were available to the media today.
– The Huskies return to the practice field for Fall Practice #5 tomorrow (Tuesday, August 6th at 3:05 p.m.).