The Washington Huskies held their fifth Fall Camp practice this afternoon and Day Five is officially in the books.
– The team started out practice on the East Practice Field with the QB group getting some work inside Husky Stadium.
– The weather was sunny, windy and hot.
– The length of the practice was approximately 2 hour and 5 minutes.
NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS
– The team practiced with shoulder pads, while wearing shorts, helmets and jerseys and focused a lot on coverages, install and scrimmaging.
– Today’s practice was focused on fundamentals, technique and a faster pace to it overall.
– Today’s 11 on 11 sessions consisted of shortened periods with all QB’s getting some reps earlier on and then full drives at the end of practice.
– Drill work included QB & RB handoffs, WR route separation, OL stances, LB alignment, DL sleds, dive tackling, LB barrels, DB tip balls and OL & DL blocking.
– The QB group worked on handoffs to the RB, down field throwing and throws out to the flat. Jacob Eason was less accurate today, especially on deep passes . Jake Haener had some good quick zip in his passes today. Jacob Sirmon had some decisive throws but sacked a couple times. Dylan Morris was very accurate with his short crossing route throws. Overall this group was ho hum today but got lots of reps.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Offense consisted primarily of Nick Harris, Luke Wattenberg, Ty Jones, Trey Adams, Salvon Ahmed, Jake Haener, Jared Hilbers, Hunter Bryant, Andre Baccellia, Aaron Fuller, Jaxson Kirkland. Cade Otton, Terrell Bynum and Chico McClatcher rotated in with this group.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Defense consisted primarily of Myles Bryant, Kyler Manu, Brandon Wellington, Cameron Williams, Levi Onwuzurike, Elijah Molden, Keith Taylor, Benning Potoa’e, Joe Tryon, Ryan Bowman, Tuli Letuligasenoa. John Clark, Kyler Gordon, Josiah Bronson and Sam Taimani and Zion Tupuola-Fetui rotated with this group as well.
– Lots of emphasis on dive tackling during drills today.
– DB’s worked a lot on backpedals while keeping their eyes on the ball.
– QB Jacob Eason took snaps with the #1 offense to begin the day.
– QB Jacob Sirmon took the snaps with the #2 offense to begin the day.
– PK’s Peyton Henry & Tim Horn hit their first FG’s of the day from around 34-yards our.
– Bad snaps seem to be plaguing the Husky offense so far this Fall Camp.
– Lots of extensive scrimmaging earlier on in practice.
– WR Puka Nacua was showcased a lot with bubble screens.
– Strong emphasis on ball security with punt and kickoff returners.
– WR Jordan Chin was limping around after his nice sideline catch early in practice.
– LB group worked on their inside bursts while rushing the QB during drills.
– Defense was really swarming to the football during scrimmage periods.
– DB Elijah Molden left practice in the middle to have his thigh taped up.
– OL & DL went after each other today in a blocking drill.
– Emphasis on DB’s and DL doing tip ball drills with Coach Lake.
– The entire team worked on gunner drills and coverage in the middle of practice.
– DB’s worked on proper coverage when jumping routes.
– WR’s and WB’s worked extensively out-route throws throughout practice.
– PK Tim Horn is the strongest and muscular freshman PK I’ve seen in years.
– Punters got work putting conventional and rugby style punts.
– TE Cade Otton has great hands on hard intermediate throws.
– There were a lot of dropped passes by the WR’s today during scrimmages.
– Offense emphasized some uptempo offense during final scrimmages.
– PK Tim Horn missed from 39-yards towards the end of practice.
– WR Chico McClatcher has gotten some handoffs this Fall Camp.
– PK Tim Horn struggled with his FG kicks today.
– C Henry Roberts had trouble with his snaps today from under center.
PLAYERS WHO STOOD OUT
– DB Julius Irvin looked great with pass deflections, blanket coverage and swarming to the football.
– OLB Laiatu Latu was relentless with getting after the QB all day long. Multiple sacks recorded during scrimmages.
– PK Peyton Henry finished the day 3 for 3 with FG attempts.
PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR
– DL Sama Paama was pancaking people during a blocking Drill with the OL. Very physical and athletic for his size.
– OL Victor Curne looks every bit the part for a true freshman. Shedding tacklers and getting off blocks very soundly.
BIGGEST PLAYS OF THE DAY
– WR Jordan Chin’s 25-yard sideline catch from QB Jacob Sirmon during 11 on 11.
– WR Andre Baccellia’s end around burst for 30-yards during 11 on 11.
– RB Salvon Ahmed’s 25-yard burst up the middle during 11 on 11.
– DB Cameron Williams pass breakup over the middle from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– WR Chico McClatcher’s 25-yard sideline catch from QB Jacob Eason during 11 on 11.
– DB Dustin Bush’s interception of QB Jacob Sirmon during 11 on 11.
– WR Austin Osborne’s wrestle away catch during 11 on 11.
– TE Devin Culp’s 20-yard catch from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– WR Ty Jones wrestle away 25-yard catch during 11 on 11.
– Laiatu Latu with back to back sacks on QB Jacob. Sirmon during 11 on 11.
– DB Dominique Hampton’s pick on QB Dylan Morris during 11 on 11.
– DB Kyler Gordon’s pick of QB Jake Haener during 7 on 7.
– WR Austin Osborne’s 30-yard sideline catch over DB Mishael Powell during 7 on 7.
– DB Asa Turner’s pick of QB Jacob Sirmon during 7 on 7.
– WR Puka Nacua’s over the middle 20-yard acrobatic catch from QB Dylan Morris during 7 on 7.
– WR Andre Baccellia’s 20-yard reverse run during 11-on-11.
– PK Peyton Henry hits 39-yard FG towards the end of practice.
– TE Jack Westover’s slant TD catch from QB Jake Haener during 11 on 11.
– RB Salvon Ahmed’s 30-yard sideline burst run during 11 on 11.
WHO WON THE DAY?
– Defense won the day as it came up with multiple turnovers and had relentless pursuit on the QB’s all day long.
– TE Jacob Kizer
– OL Cole Norgaard
– OL Troy Fautanu
FORMER PLAYERS IN ATTENDANCE
– Some former Husky players and coaches that were at practice were Hugh Millen, Jim Lambright and Damon Huard.
RECRUITS IN THE HOUSE
RECENT SIGNEES IN THE HOUSE
– “Yah, I’m fired up! That guy practices so well day in and day out and I think that’s what you guys see in him!” (OC Bush Hamdan said about the high level that WR Chico McClatcher is playing at right now in Fall Camp).
– “Of course! That’s just part of my game you know! I help my running backs up, I help my quarterbacks up and you know, if the ball comes out I’ll be right there!” (Senior OL Nick Harris in regards to continuing his “enforcer” role on the team this season).
– The Huskies return to the practice field for Fall Practice #6 tomorrow (Wednesday, August 7th). Practices are no longer open to the media for the duration of Fall Camp.