The Washington Huskies held their first Fall Camp practice this afternoon and Day One is officially in the books.
– The team started out practice on the East Practice Field.
– The weather was overcast, cloudy and warm.
– The length of the practice was approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.
NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS
– The team practiced with no pads today while wearing shorts, helmets and jerseys and focused a lot on fundamentals, footwork and drills.
– Today’s practice was a typical Chris Petersen practice with an extreme focus on drills, movement and scrimmaging.
– Today’s 11 on 11 sessions consisted of a lot of reps for both the offense and the defense throughout the entire practice.
– Drill work included linebacker backpedals, linemen footwork, WR routes, QB footwork, DB footwork, QB passing, DB comebacks, QB touch passes, RB touch pass catches, FG kicking and special teams work.
– The QB group worked on footwork, sideline passes and basic footwork. Jacob Eason was spotty. He has such a strong arm but was often inconsistent. Jake Haener had some incomplete back foot throws but seems to have decisive command in the pocket. Jacob Sirmon had some overthrows but looked good on his rollouts. Dylan Morris was Impressive with quick decisive reads and throws but threw a pick today. Overall this group showed some rust and will improve as camp goes along.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Offense consisted primarily of Nick Harris, Luke Wattenberg, Ty Jones, Trey Adams, Salvon Ahmed, Jake Haener, Jared Hilbers, Hunter Bryant, Andre Baccellia, Aaron Fuller, Jaxson Kirkland. Cade Otton, Terrell Bynum and Chico McClatcher rotated in with this group.
– During the 11 on 11 session the First Team Defense consisted primarily of Myles Bryant, Kyler Manu, Brandon Wellington, Cameron Williams, Levi Onwuzurike, Elijah Molden, Keith Taylor, Benning Potoa’e, Joe Tryon, Ryan Bowman, Tuli Letuligasenoa. John Clark, Kyler Gordon and Sam Taimani rotated with this group as well.
– QB Jake Haener started with the first team offense.
– PK Peyton Henry made his first two field goals.
– PK Tim Horn missed his first FG from 30 yards out.
– RB Kamari Pleasant hit the holes hard.
– Injured players worked out on the bike during practice.
– Lots of scrimmaging during the middle of practice.
– New WR Coach Junior Adams brings a different intensity and energy to the position!
– Emphasis on downfield blocking during practice.
– Special Teams got a lot of drill work. Coach Petersen looking to improve that aspect.
– Bad snaps from under center were an issue all day.
– QB Dylan Morris scrambles very fast and has a quick release.
– WR Quinten Pounds looks very healthy and has that burst.
– WR Chico McClatcher was running crisp routes and looks strong.
– Lots of scrimmaging today during the main parts of practice.
– RB Richard Newton had some nice explosion and burst through the hole.
PLAYERS WHO STOOD OUT
– WR Trey Lowe. Looked crisp on his routes, great hands and caught 2 TD’s during scrimmaging.
– OLB Laiatu Latu looks very fast and physical off the edge. Extremely explosive.
PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR
– DB Kyler Gordon looks every bit the part. Extremely fast and provided blanket coverage and good instincts in the secondary.
– WR Puka Nacua looks real special. Great hands and athleticism. Bright future.
BIGGEST PLAYS OF THE DAY
– WR Ty Jones 30 sideline pass from QB Jake Haener during 11-on-11.
– QB Dylan Morris hits WR Trey Lowe for 20-yard TD during 11-on-11.
– OLB Joe Tryon gets sack on QB Jacob Eason during 11-on-11.
– DB Nick Juran intercepts the 40-yard lads from QB Dylan Morris during 11-on-11.
– WR Trey Lowe one handed 40-yard TD catch from QB Dylan Morris during 11-on-11.
– WR Puka Nacua between the legs 30-yard sideline catch from Jacob Sirmon during 11-on-11.
– RB Salvon Ahmed’s burst through the hole 30-yard run untouched.
WHO WON THE DAY?
– Defense won the day as it was constantly harassing the quarterback and came up with sacks and interceptions.
– TE Jacob Kizer
– OL Cole Norgaard
– OL Troy Fautanu
FORMER PLAYERS IN ATTENDANCE
RECRUITS IN THE HOUSE
RECENT SIGNEES IN THE HOUSE
– “Um..good energy! Some of the young guys looked good out there running around..um..in their pajamas (he laughs). Yes it’s exciting! I cant wait to get the pads on! (Co-Defensive Coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski’s thoughts on the first day of Fall Camp).
– I’d say mentally! Taking care of my thoughts and emotions on the field. Kind of being steady and all that! If my mind is right then my body is going to be right. We have been training our bodies for months now so that shouldn’t even be an issue”. (Defensive Back Elijah Molden said about the evolution of his game).
– The Huskies return to the practice field for Fall Practice #2 tomorrow (Saturday, August 3rd at 3:05 p.m.).