Per The University of Washington Press Release…..
February 26, 2019
Huskies (22-5, 13-1) at California (5-22, 0-15)
UW takes its final road trip of the season heading to the Bay Area to first face California on Thursday, Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. in Haas Pavillion. The game will be nationally televised on FS1 with Kevin Burkhardt and Steve Lavin on the call. Additionally, fans can listen to Tony Castricone and Jason Hamilton on the official Husky Radio Broadcast on KOMO 1000 AM/97.7 FM. Washington took the first meeting between the two programs in Seattle last month.
The Coach – Mike Hopkins (43-18)
Mike Hopkins is in his second year at UW, and second as a head coach after becoming the 19th head coach in UW history. After spending 22 years as an assistant at Syracuse, he oversaw teams that reached the NCAA Tournament 16 times including the 2003 National Championship, four Final Fours, five Elite Eights and 10 Sweet 16s along with four NIT berths. Syracuse never dipped below a 55.0 percent record while Hopkins was on staff. In his first year at UW, Hopkins earned the 2018 Pac-12 Coach of the Year Award while leading the Huskies to a 21-13 record ending in the second round of the NIT.
• Washington has had a different leading scorer in each of the last eight games.
• Thybulle earned his first career Pac-12 Player of the Week award on Monday as he averaged 13.5 points, 6.0 steals, 5.0 rebounds and 4.5 blocks in two UW wins … he joins Jaylen Nowell in getting the weekly league honor this season as Nowell has received it three times already this year
• UW entered the national rankings for the first time since the preseason this week as it is No. 25 in both polls
• Thybulle is the only player in the country this season that has produced a single-game stat line of at least 10 points, 7 rebounds, 6 steals and 4 blocks, which he did against Utah while only having one turnover
• Thybulle is the only player since 1992-93 to record both at least 95 steals and 60 blocks in the same season (via SportsReference).
• Thybulle, a semifinalist for Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, has averaged 12.1 points, 5.6 steals, 2.7 blocks and 3.9 rebounds in his last seven outings.
• Washington ranks 22nd in the nation in turnovers forced per game, averaging 16.3 per outing
• In the last two games, UW opponents have been held to just 45 and 55 points, respectively … in league action, UW is holding opponents to just 60.9 points per game and its season scoring defense of 63.6 points per game overall is ranked 19th in the NCAA
• UW is on the verge of having four 1,000 point scorers on its roster at the same time for the first time in program history … Dickerson (1,508), Crisp (1,383) and Thybulle (1,183) have already reached the mark while Nowell is sitting at 980 career points
• Hopkins has led UW to back-to-back 20 win seasons in his first two years … the last UW coach to record 20 wins in their first two seasons was Tippy Dye (1951-52, 1952-53)
• Washington’s senior class has combined for 4,680 points, in 492 career games played
• UW is the only Pac-12 team that is undefeated at home, boasting a 14-0 mark in Alaska Airlines Arena, additionally, the Huskies have 1,004 program wins in Hec Ed, the most by any Division I school at its current arena in the nation … UW last went undefeated at home for a full season during the 2004-05 campaign
• UW has recorded six conference road wins and hold a 6-1 mark on the road in league action … UW last had six road wins in conference play during the 2011-12 season
• Thybulle is the only active player in Division I to be in the top 25 career rankings in both steals (1st – 301) and blocks (T24th – 165)
• UW has reached 13 conference wins for the first time since the 2011-12 season and it’s also the first time since the 2010-11 and 2011-12 that the team has won at least 10 games in league action in back-to-back years
• Crisp is now second all-time in made 3-point FGs in UW history with 237 … the record of 301 is held by C.J. Wilcox (2011-14) … meanwhile Thybulle is now second all-time in UW history in blocks with 165
• UW has forced double-digit turnovers in 18-straight games, including a season high 24 forced at Arizona State, which was the most by an opponent since 24 against Dec. 19, 2017 against Bethune Cookman
• Washington is second in the nation in blocked shots, averaging 6.0 per game as a team and are 10th in steals (9.0) per game … only UW and Duke rank in the top 10 nationally in both categories
• Thybulle, a semifinalist for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, has a career total of 466 takeaways (blocks and steals combined), which is the most by any of the previous Pac-12 Defensive Players of the Year winners, which has been awarded 14 times in conference history
• Nowell was selected as one of 10 finalists for the Naismith Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award